Easy recipes to set you on your diet and nutrition programme
Broccoli & Feta Omelette
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 large eggs – beaten
- 2tbsp feta cheese – crumbled
- 1/4tsp dried dill
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat the pan with cooking spray.
- Add chopped broccoli and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine egg, feta, and dill in a small bowl and add the mixture to the pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the omelette and cook for another two minutes or until cooked through. Serve with toast.
Lemon Herb Chicken
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves – skinless
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley – for garnish
- Cut lemon in half, and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon on the chicken. Season with salt to taste and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Now place the chicken in the skillet.
- Add juice from the other half lemon, along with pepper and oregano.
- Sauté it for 5 to 10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Turn off the gas and garnish with parsley.
Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich
- 1 small clove garlic – chopped
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium eggplant – sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 2 large or 3 medium Portobello mushroom caps – gills removed
- Cooking spray
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich/burger bread – grilled or toasted
- 2 cups arugula, or spinach – stemmed and chopped
- 1 large tomato- sliced
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic on a cutting board with the back of a spoon, combine it with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Coat both sides of eggplant rounds and mushroom caps with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables until tender and browned on both sides – 2 to 3 minutes per side for eggplant, 3 to 4 minutes for mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms when cool.
Spread 1½ teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread. Layer the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula (or spinach) and tomato slices onto 4 slices of bread; top with the remaining bread.