Tired of convincing your children to eat their vegetables? Check out these two recipes from Simran Dhanju, which are sure to make that task easier…
Broccoli and Mushroom Crepes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 2tbsp vegetable oil/sunflower oil
- ¼tsp salt
- 1 cup broccoli, thinly sliced
- 150g mushroom, thinly sliced
- 2tbsp chopped parsley leaves
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1-2tbsp oil
Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a bowl, sieve flour; add salt and mix.
- Whisk eggs, milk and oil together with a wire whisker, pour into flour mix and make a smooth batter. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat crepe pan on a low flame, drizzle little oil and wipe the excess oil with paper towel. Pour a ladle of batter in the pan and spread quickly with the back of the ladle to make a thin crepe.
- Now on one half of the crepe, sprinkle broccoli, mushrooms, onions, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Fold the other half on top and gently turn it over. Cook on both sides for a minute until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot with any sauce of your choice.
Tofu Lettuce Cups
- 400g firm tofu, diced in small cubes
- 1 iceburg lettuce
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 3tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1tsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup mixed bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 2tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp malt vinegar
- 2-3tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp sugar
- 2-3tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Carefully, remove lettuce leaves from the core and dip in ice-cold water.
- Heat oil in wok; add ginger, garlic, onion and green chilli, and sauté for few minutes until translucent. Add bell peppers and toss for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, soy and Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper – mix them all together and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Now add spring onion, coriander leaves and pine nuts. Give a quick toss.
- Remove lettuce leaves from water, pat dry; fill the lettuce cups with tofu filling and serve.